This area is characterised by:
- a low density of population adapted to natural conditions;
- a sustainable network for the census-designated place;
- clean air and environmental quality;
- the unique diversity of the natural system;
- attractive complexes of forests, lakes and grasslands;
- the ability to commune with nature is not amended by civilization;
- the richness and diversity of cultures and customs;
- regional cuisine;
- developing services infrastructure;
- good conditions for the production of healthy food and the location of the „clean industry”.
The functional area of the Green Lungs of Poland includes the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Podlasie and part of the province: Masovia, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship and Pomeranias. More information about the Green Lungs of Poland can be found on the websites www.emazury.com, www.fzpp.pl and www.wrotapodlasia.pl.